Spent some time today working on the plot for a new project.
This time I’m trying to use notecards from beginning to end. For other books and projects in the past, I’ve used whatever technique seemed best for whatever piece of the story I was thinking about at the time. Milkweed started out on one giant whiteboard, and then I worked on notecards and scraps of paper as I got into the details of each book, act, and chapter.
But this time I want to do it all with one method. I think the notecards have been a good choice so far.
This morning, I took some time to lay out all the cards on the floor in my dining room. (I’ve vowed that I’ll never again deprive myself of a place to eat dinner, so writing work never goes on the table. And the desk in my writing office is too small for this.) It helped me see all the scenes that are connected to the spine of the story, and all the scenes that are floating off in outer space without having grown the connective tissue that will bind them into the book.
Later I opened the back door to take out the recycling. And, because this is New Mexico, the wind was gusting with gale-force winds.
I did eventually find all the cards. I think.
So who knows what the final plot will be. It certainly got a good shuffle today.